Founded in 2010, the Senior Law Clinic (SLC) champions Campbell Law School’s mission of using the practice of law as a calling to serve others. The clinic was created to serve the legal needs of low-income senior citizens in the greater Raleigh area.
Working under the supervision of Professor Roger Manus, who directs the clinic, students provide consultative, transactional, and advocacy legal services with issues such as powers of attorney and other advance directives, problems facing grandparents raising children, fraud and consumer issues, abuse, guardianship, landlord and tenant problems, Medicaid, food stamps, unemployment appeals, rights in nursing homes, and simple wills for property owners. The SLC does not handle cases involving criminal law, traffic accidents and violations, medical malpractice, and personal injury issues.
Recent examples of issues that Campbell Law students have assisted area seniors with include:
- Aiding a woman in freeing herself from legal entanglement with her abusive brother who held power of attorney and health care power of attorney
- Assisting a client in adopting her granddaughter for whom she is caring when the child’s only living parent is imprisoned for murder and unwilling to consent to the adoption
- Defending a woman with disabilities from public housing eviction
- Helping a client with mild Alzheimer’s disease who was being abused and financially exploited by her daughter
- Recovering the funds on behalf of a woman defrauded of her life savings by a landlord
Students participating in SLC gain valuable experience with interviewing, case management, negotiation and oral advocacy, as well as recognizing and responding to communication issues associated with aging. Students meet with the supervising clinical director at least weekly on a regularly scheduled basis to review their assigned cases.
A maximum of eight students are enrolled in SLC each semester.
The SLC program aids seniors age 60 and above with a monthly household below $1,897 for single individuals and below $2,572 for married couples.
“The Senior Law Clinic was by far the single most beneficial experience I had while at Campbell Law in terms of preparing me for the actual practice of law. I continue to use the client interviewing and case management methods we practiced. Further, my experience at the clinic positioned me to quickly build a senior citizen client base. I cannot speak highly enough of the program.” – Allison Goodwin, Campbell Law Class of 2011
Senior Law Clinic